A regularly updated blog about my vintage Kenner Star Wars toy collection. Some stuff that I've recently acquired; some stuff that I've had since I was a kid. Some rare, some common, but all sharing the warmth, charm and character of the "first generation" of Star Wars toys - the ones we played with as kids in the late '70s and early '80s.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Landspeeder

Didn't everybody have a Landspeeder? I had two as a kid, got them both for the same birthday. That was a bit of a drag, since there was only ever one Landspeeder in the movie and to me, the play possibilities within the confines of the movie context were somewhat limited. But it is nevertheless an iconic toy from the original range and the box art direction is fantastic as usual.

Box top shows "simulated suspension".

Did anybody else used to store vintage weapons up front in the trunk?

Demonstration of suspension feature and remnants of TRU sticker ;-)

POP has unfortunately been removed, but what a great photo of the heroes riding in the vehicle.


The usual recreation of the box art. The 'speeder in the photos is one I owned as a kid. What's up with the Stormtrooper using Chewbacca's rifle?

Luke checks out the thermal reactor under the hood. Careful with that lightsaber!

Copyright information.

Spring-loaded suspension...

"Wheels down" with the lever in the forward position, simulated floating.

"Wheels up" with the lever locked back, vehicle sits on the ground. As with many Kenner vehicles the cleverness of the play features in the toy is often overlooked, but that floating suspension setup is pretty cool.

5 comments:

  1. Great read Dallas. I’m rereading all these posts as they are all awesome man. I don’t ever recall seeing the Landspeeder growing up in New Zealand. I was pretty amped to buy one a few years back here in the States. Good ‘ol vintage goodness. I reckon it’s just a cool vehicle. Love the float mechanism!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reread and comment! Stay tuned for some new content coming soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My version had short "pins" molded into the rear deck, so the droids could be secured better (into their under-foot holes).
    I can't seem to find this version anywhere online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Pablo! There is a peg molded into the back of each seat. These pegs fit into the bottoms of the droids' feet as they sit on the rear deck. Would love to see a pic of your 'speeder if you could send me one - you can use the contact form at top right :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dallas, all my SW toys are long-gone. When my parents separated in 84, I gave away all my toys to the neighbourhood kids. Included a Matchbox Race n Chase, TCR set and a small SW collection, including the mini diecast figures and "explodable" ships.

      My bedroom had the Vymura Star Wars wallpaper, perfectly done by my uncle and dad. I figured, it was a new chapter in life and I'd be leaving my childhood behind, so was happy for others to enjoy them.

      A memory that might have been idealised where some details are concerned, because there's no photos I'm aware of.

      Delete