A regularly updated blog about my vintage Kenner Star Wars toy collection. Some stuff that I've recently acquired; some stuff that I've had since I was a kid. Some rare, some common, but all sharing the warmth, charm and character of the "first generation" of Star Wars toys - the ones we played with as kids in the late '70s and early '80s.

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Stan Solo Holiday Special Boba Fett

I'll admit that I'm a sucker for a well-done custom or repainted figure, I've created and featured several on the blog. I'm especially enthusiastic about custom figures that were never made by Kenner in the first place, but look like they "could have been." That is: five points of articulation, vintage-looking capes and accessories, that kind of thing.

So this custom Boba Fett from Stan Solo is right up my alley. I'm a big fan of the Fett cartoon from the Holiday Special and when I found this custom from Stan Solo on Etsy it bounced right into my cart.



The figure sculpt is very similar to - but not an exact copy of - the original Kenner Fett. Notably, the helmet incorporates a "scope" and the backpack is quite detailed and is removable. The figure also has attached "soft goods" - a very cool fabric cape fastened to the left shoulder.

You'll also notice that the weapon is a really well-done replica of the HS rifle. This also appeared as the Mandalorian's "Amban phase-pulse blaster" in the eponymous Disney+ show, of course. It's monochromatic (like all vintage Star Wars weapons) but looks quite accurate.

Mr. Solo has done a fine job on this figure and I'm happy to have one. It's a great representation of the Holiday Special Boba Fett and really carries off the vintage aesthetic. Mine was a bit less expensive than the regular one as it had a "paint error" (some brown paint is missing from the figure's belt) but it's all good by me. Nice to have it in the cabinet. 

1 comment: