A regularly updated blog about my vintage Kenner Star Wars toy collection. Some stuff that I've recently acquired; some stuff that I've had since I was a kid. Some rare, some common, but all sharing the warmth, charm and character of the "first generation" of Star Wars toys - the ones we played with as kids in the late '70s and early '80s.

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

A Different Kind of 12-Back Run

I've never really been a carded figure guy, but I certainly see the appeal. While loose figures are great because you can look at them from all angles and even (gasp) PLAY with them, carded figures hold a different attraction. For me it's mainly the packaging and cardback art, as well as the intricate advertisements ART DIRECTION on display on the backs of the cards.

At one point in my collecting journey I thought it would be cool to have some more MOCs, but to focus that part of the collection in some way... like maybe just stick to a run of 12-backs. HA! I guess if you're prepared to spend $30-50K on a run of 12-backs nowadays, this might be the thing for you... but it ain't for me. That's new-car money.

Which brings me to this alternative - a way to collect 12-backs without mortgaging your home. Just collect the cardbacks themselves! The added bonus is that they are easy to display this way and I think, look rather cool (sorry about the reflections).

The cardbacks are relatively easy to find and as noted, don't cost the Earth either. Most are available for $50 or less and very rarely up to $100. This means a nice run of 12-back cards can be had for well under a thousand bucks, and there's not much you get in 12-back-land for less than that (well maybe - I have another post in the works on that). 

And they're easy to display too. I got these Studio Decor 14x20" float frames at Michaels for $20 each (remember to use your 30% off coupon!) and they fit four cardbacks pretty well perfectly. 

The bonus of a float frame is that you can easily see the backs of the cards as well - just as cool as the fronts!

You'll notice a mix of Canadian and US Kenner cardbacks in this run, which actually reflects my own childhood collecting. While most of my figures were bought here in Canada, some were brought back from the States by my dad (who took summer courses at Purdue University) or were bought there on family vacations.

Six of the Canadian cardbacks were purchased in a lot from my friend Mike's store, 4th Moon Toys, in Toronto, and the Canadian Luke Skywalker cardback came from Ontario buddy Chris P. Thanks guys!

The others came in a lot of two and a lot of three from eBay sellers. The cards are all encased in plastic bags before mounting in the frames as I didn't want the cardboard touching the glass. So now I just have to find some wall space to hang them up.

I really enjoyed putting this run together - it was nice to have a deliberate objective and collecting target to achieve. I think they look pretty cool and are a fun way to feel the 12-back vibe without too outrageous an investment. Perhaps some further targeted card runs are in the future... bounty hunters perhaps - but staying mindful that the Fett Tax is still in effect, even on cardbacks ;-)

Stay safe everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Really cool Dallas, an awesome way to display them! Just like the figures, the cards hold heaps of nostalgia too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete