A regularly updated blog about my vintage Kenner Star Wars toy collection. Some stuff that I've recently acquired; some stuff that I've had since I was a kid. Some rare, some common, but all sharing the warmth, charm and character of the "first generation" of Star Wars toys - the ones we played with as kids in the late '70s and early '80s.

Monday, February 11, 2019

Rancor Monster Figure

Inspired by the latest episode (56) of the Vintage Rebellion podcast, I got out the old Rancor monster for a photo session.

And what a monster he is! Easily the largest creature in the Kenner line, he's packed with play features as well, as you can see from the box photos above. Movable legs, wavy arms, rotating wrists... and most importantly, the snapping jaws!

On to the tableaux...

Here we see Luke running towards (!) the Rancor, who's already nabbed an unfortunate Gamorrean Guard.



Here we have the image from the box front... Rancor has switched the Gam Guard from right hand to left, in order to free up his right hand to grab Luke. I said "his"... and apparently this is correct; even though the Rancor's name is "Pateesa," it's a male rancor.

View of the back end of the Rancor. I suppose you might say "if you're seeing this, you've already been killed and eaten" :-(

The point here is a closeup shot of the control button for the Rancor's jaw action.

Press the button and the jaws open...

Release and they snap satisfyingly shut! Can't say much for the standard of dental care at Jabba's palace either.

Copyright info is hidden away on the back of the leg.

Had to include a couple of shots with the Rancor Keeper, of course.

Smile for the camera!

Apparently the backstory on Pateesa is that he was a birthday gift to Jabba from his majordomo, Bib Fortuna. "Don't say I never got you anything!" But on that point, I don't think a large, vicious animal requiring significant resources to upkeep is really an appropriate gift. I feel the same way about giving someone a puppy. "Thanks for this gift... that I now have to feed, housetrain, clean up after, pick up the droppings of, and provide medical care to... for the next 8-12 years. Yeah thanks again." Hey - dogs are great. But unless you live in the same house with the recipient, or the recipient begs for you to get them one, don't give one as a gift. At least the Rancor served a useful purpose for Jabba by disposing of unwanted slave girls.

Anyway... I never had a Rancor monster in my childhood collection and honestly, until I got this one out for pictures, I never fully realized how cool a toy it is. The snapping jaws are just great and the toy is really huge! I think the original pricetag on my box was $16.99 though which is plenty for even a very large figure. But the sculpting detail is outstanding and the play value has to be there in this one.

Till next time! (which will be soon, I promise :-) 

1 comment:

  1. Great beast from the Return of the Jedi. Thanks for posting. Love the packaging photos.

    ReplyDelete