A regularly updated blog about my vintage Kenner Star Wars toy collection. Some stuff that I've recently acquired; some stuff that I've had since I was a kid. Some rare, some common, but all sharing the warmth, charm and character of the "first generation" of Star Wars toys - the ones we played with as kids in the late '70s and early '80s.

Monday, March 10, 2014

"Droids" A-Wing Fighter Landing Gear Repair/Restoration

A common problem - A-Wing Fighter with busted landing gear. I'd always wanted to add an A-Wing to my collection but quailed at the high prices asked for boxed and even loose examples. Synchronicity intervened one day as I was cruising eBay and found one with broken landing gear in one auction... and a loose replacement part in another. The ship was $50 and the part, $8...

Once everything arrived, the first order of business was to disassemble the ship by removing six screws.

Once it all came apart it was clear that all was not well. One of the landing struts was broken. Out came the cyanoacrylate glue for a repair...

Not good enough, unfortunately. The superglue just wouldn't hold by itself. Time for the big guns...

... JB Weld. This stuff will stick most anything together (except the fairing stays on a 1995 Ducati 900SS/SP, but that's another story).

The JB made "Kwik" work of the repair.

Here's how the ship goes back together...

...carefully laying the engines over the upper ship half.

Landing gear in "down" position.

Screw it all back together...

Voila - one very presentable A-Wing Fighter at a significant discount over buying a mint example. A-Wing Pilot is pretty pleased with his new ride ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Hi
    I have one of those A-wing with the same problem (left landing gear broken)
    The 2 cannons are also broken.
    If you know about someone who has those parts for selling just let me know.
    masterjey51@hotmail.com

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    I have one of those A-wing with the same problem (left landing gear broken)
    The 2 cannons are also broken.
    If you know about someone who has those parts for selling just let me know.
    masterjey51@hotmail.com

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Masterjey, thanks for the comment. I was able to find the necessary parts on eBay, I think that's your best bet. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete